Friday 23 May 2014

What's growing

I'm quite a negative person - it has to be said! My glass isn't half empty - I have no glass! and if by chance I did have a glass it would have a hole in it!
Negativity is part of who I am and always has been, it never really bothers me until I'm having a fight with the Black dog in which case it can be quite debilitating and when I'm gardening it can turn what should be a pleasant potter in the garden into a full blown mental assault on myself, anxious about all the things I'm not doing and which are getting on top of me - this usually then results in me flouncing about all cheesed off with myself and achieving nothing. Of course that then results in more of the mental attack on myself and so the cycle begins.
I tell you this because it began to happen again over the last few days and so nothing was getting done but instead of wallowing in the 'woe is me' attitude I determined to go to the polytunnel (mess as it is right now) and think about nothing but getting plants planted and seedlings potted on - music is my choice of weapon for those wandering thoughts.

So here is what is growing in my polytunnel just now

I don't grow many onions, certainly not as many as I should - these are Stuttgarter and they seem to love it in this soil.


Sweetcorn grow so well in this soil and last year I had pretty much 100% cob success. I wasn't going to grow in bottomless pots this year but I noticed mice ate the first batch of seedlings so I decided to play it safe with this second batch. The polythene is purely to stop that wretched Horsetail weed.


I am seriously naff at growing salad crops so I only gave up a small area this year. The Spring onion ain't springing it has to be said and the Pak choi has bolted - what the heck is Pak choi anyway? and what do I do with it?. The rocket was waaay to strong flavoured for me but the Spinach is tasty as are the radishes - guess I'm sticking to Radish and Spinach from now on.


First year Strawberry plants. I gave up growing these years ago cos I never got a decent yield but I'm giving it another go and hopefully have better succes over the next few years.


This Conference Pear is still riddled with some kind of pear leaf disease so it's going out in the garden in a sheltered area from the summer on. It may not produce fruit outside but it'll give the birds more cover in the garden.


The Victoria Plum is outgroing the PT so it too will be going to the garden against a sheltered south facing wall. It has 7 fruit this year - a grand improvement on last years one!


Climbing French Beans - I love these. They do so well in here and produce masses of fruits.


Second batch of Cucumber plants after mice ate the first lot. Also Courgettes are growing the other side.


The cut flowers are really romping away and I've already had a few Dianthus flowers.



The one flower I couldn't imagine not growing - sweetpea.


Quite alot of Allium on here, lord knows what I'm going to do with them all. Plus can you see the Thalictrum n the two middle pots on the middle shelf - I have loads of these that I grew form seed this year, I'm really pleased to see the doing well.


More shelving with Sunflower 'Teddybear', Coreopsis plugs and other plug plants from one of the 'Gardeners world' readers offers.


The plants have now overspilled to outside the PT door.


More overspill


6 comments:

  1. I thin reading this your glass should be well and truly full or at least three quarters full.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you put it like that Sue I can see I should be a tad more positive about what I'm achieving lol. I mean I should at least have a glass huh!

      Delete
  2. You really did hit it on the head describing how I think but unlike you I might just have the glass. The other day I was thinking how useless I was on my plot with a side glance at my neighbors immaculate creation. But like you I was spurred on to re-sow a second batch of peas and broad beans that were scoffed by the mice (bless em) and those damn vine weevil menace. Mildly optimistic perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've decided I have the glass but I've drank the contents.
      It's so soul destroying when you never seem to create the Eden seen elsewhere isn't it? Unrealistic to think one gardener could create Eden but us negative people tend to think it should be in our grasp don't we lol.
      Good luck with those Peas and Beans and the evil that is the vine weevil.

      Delete
  3. Create your own Eden in your own time, not the Eden of others. (Sheesh! I'm getting a bit deep for a Saturday night). It'll come...trust me.
    I have Polytunnel-envy now though...off to dig up next doors garden while it's dark!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lmao Jane. Enjoy that midnight gardening ;)

      Delete

Thank you for popping by, if you'd like to leave a message that would be awesome and I try to respond to all messages :)