Tuesday 26 March 2013

Another sickly plant.....

I posted about my sickly Skimmias the other day and now I'm posting about my sickly Camelia - another ericaceous loving plant.
Unlike the skimmias that were potted wrong and in unsuitable soil this Camelia is in a large enough pot, in ericaceous compost and has been fed according to instructions as often as required, I'm pretty sure this can't be Chlorosis.
And yet it still looks like this


Despite obviously ailing from something the Camelia is covered with healthy buds as usual



Anyone have any idea of what it suffers from? I'd really love to know.
All I can think of from a little internet searching is that maybe it's getting too much sunlight. I keep it in the polytunnel as it would not survive up here outside and it isn't shaded in any way. I wouldn't have thought that would be an issue but apparantly Camelias do not like early morning sun - who knew!
But would excess sunlight cause this? Could those brown splodges be burns?
I've quickly moved it to a slightly more shaded area of the polytunnel to avoid too much sunlight but  I'm not even sure if this is what ails it. HELP!! I love my Camelia and would hate to lose it cos it produces flowers like this



On a brighter note, guess who managed to get out in the garden today? Go on guess.....
Yup, yup, yup the snow (what there was of it) has gone, the winds have dropped to barely noticeable and this means the temperatures are not quite so cold as they have been.
So myself and Mr TG (rare day off from work, well his usual work anyway) spent the day outside - I was clearing ugly borders ready for moving around of perennials and a serious mulching and Mr TG was rotovating and everything else associated with being stubborn enough (and foolish enough?) to believe he can turn all the land over with just his trusty rototiller.


He's actually done alot more than is shown here but I wasn't nearby to catch a picture of him rotovating (I'll snag him tomorrow though) so a raking picture will have to suffice for now.
He's determined to do this himself (maybe to prove his COPD does not affect him one iota -insert rolling eyes here) and luckily we're not bothered about a perfect field. we just want to get it levelled enough to mow it (it's full of digger tracks and Dane holes and a danger to walk on at the mo).

6 comments:

  1. Congrats on being able to get out and work in the garden! It is a great pleasure after all this time, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It most certainly is and I'm loving it!
      I'm loving the garden therapy at last! Hope you are managing to enjoy the garden again too.
      Thanks for popping by.

      Linda

      Delete
  2. I hope you find out what's wrong with your camelia, it would be such a shame to lose it. No gardening here yet, it's trying to snow again today and it's still so cold. I thought it would be a good time over the Easter weekend to get some work done at the allotment, but I don't think the weather's going to cooperate. Spring must arrive eventually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going with the too much sunlight route Jo, it's the only thing that makes sense.
      I really hope you manage to get out to your allotment at the weekend. You never know, the forecast could be wrong.
      Thanks for stopping by.

      Linda

      Delete
  3. I would have to agree with you about too much sun for your camellia. And possibly too much water. Just move it, it should be fine. It has beautiful blooms - love that color! That's a lot of work and a big area to be rototilling! But, oh, it feels great to finally get out in the garden, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the Camelia :)
      We have 4 acres that need doing but I can't imagine he's thinking to tackle all that :O
      Yes that sun feels great and I love being able to garden, hope you're enjoying it too.

      Thanks for popping by

      Linda

      Delete

Thank you for popping by, if you'd like to leave a message that would be awesome and I try to respond to all messages :)