Thursday 30 May 2013

Bunk bed trellis

I think that Spring may just have sprung and today has been glorious, a tad windy but not on the back garden and that's all I cared about really.

I was supposed to spend the day sowing Parsnips, sowing other veggies and planting out the Leeks but the wind round at the polytunnel was quite high and I didn't fancy fighting fleece in the wind so I spent the day in the shelter of the back garden.

I got a trellis up next to the Pergola. It's a bit of a weird trellis though. Originally I wanted to use an old bunkbed frame coming off the actual pergola but I decided I wasn't risking sinking a post into the ground without knowing where the pipes underneath are.
My alternative idea was to attach the metal frame to these posts which I only had to sink into the ground a few inches


It meant that the trellis would be free standing as opposed to attached to the pergola but I really wanted to get something up, I was getting impatient to get the climbing rose actually climbing something.
This is the finished trellis (well apart from sawing off a few inches from the top of one of the posts and adding a finial to both) and here is Mr TG's opinion of it

"All you need now is the horse"


Yes, it does look like a horse jump Mr TG and yes I would love the horse to go with it, thank you for the offer!
The rose is still in a pot at the moment because it's growing so well I daren't disturb it but it will definitely be in the ground next year.

I must show you the current state of Mr TG's pond though


Mr TG is apparently leaving it to see at what point the water level stops going down, this is supposed to give him some idea of where the leak is!
He checks it regular but it's still going down - what I haven't actually told him is that I use the water to water my garden plants pretty much most days, well I figured we'd be emptying it anyway to sort the leak out so it wouldn't matter.
Am I going to tell him it stopped leaking ages ago?  Erm nope, especially after the horse jump comment.

Anyway I don't care if it looks like a horse jump, once all the plants have grown up and filled out you'll not see much of it anyway


Now then, do any of you have a foolproof way of growing Fuchsia from cuttings? I try this pretty much every year and out of hundreds of cuttings I probably have a grand total of 4 that have taken.
I've tried big cuttings, small cuttings, lots of leaf, hardly any leaf, heat, no heat and this is how they all seem to end up


I need help guys and a sure fire way to get Fuchsia cuttings to take.


Sharing this post at

Tootsie Time

19 comments:

  1. You better hope your hubby doesn't read your blog! :-) I like the trellis and it's always good to repurpose things. Hopefully you'll find the pond leak - if ours ever springs one it will be one major job to find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm safe there because hubby doesn't even know how to turn a computer on lmao. Honestly he can't even text. Says he doesn't care to know either lol.

      Thank you for stopping by

      Linda

      Delete
  2. You're probably safe... I don't know of a lot of men reading gardening blogs... I'm a bit of an oddity I guess! Larry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right there lol. My hubby doesn't read any blogs and has never even touched a computer.
      It's nice to have an "oddity" such as yourself enjoying alongside us though :)
      Thank you for stopping by Larry

      Linda

      Delete
  3. hahaha, i am amused at your little secret and wondering why it has to be kept secret at all. For me it looks like a big project and i can already visualize the outcome, i am sure it will be very beautiful. I am just awed myself at the difficulty of lifting those rocks at the pond edges, oh my back will be painful for that. Happy Gardening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My hubby has wound me up with loads of things over the years kalantikan, it's nice to get the chance myself. I'll probably feel guilty and tell him the truth eventually - I can only watch him watch the water level so many times before I'll feel bad lol.
      Those rocks were heavy and I was glad to leave that major lifting to Mr TG.

      Take care and thanks for popping by

      Linda

      Delete
  4. I wouldn't get away with that as Martyn even has comments on my posts forwarded to his email.

    Have you tried hardwood cuttings of popping the cuttings in a plastic bag, hormone rooting powder or really gritty compost?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully Sue Wayne doesn't even know how to turn a laptop on lol. He doesn't have email on account of him not knowing how to use the internet or a computer lol.

      I'm really pulling my hair out with the cuttings Sue. I took about 18 more yesterday and today they're all shrivelled up. I'm wondering whether they're too wet so perhaps I should try the gritty compost you mention.
      I can but try.

      Linda

      Delete
    2. I know this may sound stupid but are the leaves wet and then when the sun (that yellow thing in the sky sometimes) comes out and burns the leaves? If your plants are in a greenhouse the suns rays through the glass could actually get quite warm - even fragmenting through water droplets can increase the warmth.

      Then at the other end of the scale - wet leaves and frosty conditions could have the same effect. I'm not sure how cold it has been for you!

      Delete
    3. Funny you should say that Sue. I managed to dig out a book I had on all things Fuchsia and I think I've been doing a couple of things wrong, the main one being keeping the heated propagator in direct sunlight - I've been cooking the poor little cuttings.
      Such a rookie mistake to make and I can't believe I did it but there you go - I did!
      I am now armed with counter measures so that my next batch goes off without a hitch - fingers crossed lol.

      Linda

      Delete
  5. I hope Mr. TG does not read this post :-). I have to disagree with him and say that it's looking very nice. Men just lack sense of creativity and imagination ;-) to see how nice it look in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope he won't read it KL, I'm safe because he can't use anything technical, not even a text lol.
      Wayne certainly does lack imagination, he thinks half of my ideas are mad lol. I'm getting him to dismantle an old washing machine and I daren't tell him it's so that I can make a firepit from the drum lol.

      Linda

      Delete
  6. Oh you NAUGHTY girl! Fancy tormenting the poor man like that!

    I love the trellis, how original you are, and I think the pond looks SMASHIN!XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Snowbird :)
      I have to get my kicks somehow lol but don't worry I learned from the best - Mr TG himself.

      Linda

      Delete
  7. At any rate he's found a good reason to put the project on hold, so who's winning this one?

    ....and I bet your hubby is peeing in the pond on the way back from pub anyway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's actually quite eager to get it finished Mal, in fact today I confessed to my water stealing. He saw the funny side lol.

      Fortunately hubby prefers a drink at home and if he ever does hit the pub I chauffeur him anyway which is a good thing because he'd do himself some damage attempting to access the pond in an inebriated state lol.

      Thanks for popping by

      Linda

      Delete
  8. You are too funny about that pond....I side with you after his comment. Interesting trellis...looking forward to the continuing progress of this garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's filled the darn thing back up today, think he thinks it musthave miraculously repaired itself lol. He's now going on about goldfish but he's getting ahead of himself cos I haven't even planted it up for him yet, guess what I'll be doing this week! lol

      Linda

      Delete
  9. hahahaha! that is funny! I love the trellis and the secret! lol
    it feels like forever since I had time to sit and enjoy everyone's posts...I am so glad I could drop by today and see your addition to my little party! Thank you so much for linking into my little party this week...I appreciate and enjoy every post!
    I hope you will link in again and again!
    I am also sharing your post to the Tootsie Time Facebook page!
    Have a great week!

    (¯`v´¯)
    `*.¸.*´Glenda/Tootsie
    ¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)
    (¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•.

    --
    www.tootsietime.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for popping by, if you'd like to leave a message that would be awesome and I try to respond to all messages :)